Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Linda says...

Hi everyone, it's Linda. Before I write anything else, I want to say Happy Birthday to Walt! What a wonderful way to celebrate - riding bicycles, something he loves, around the country of his birth. I can see where he gets so many of his character traits. I have found the Dutch in general to be adventurous, ingenious, industrious and with a real sense of enjoyment of life!

He wants me to add my 2 cents worth to the Blog, so here goes. Holland is completely amazing. For all of you cyclists, it is a dream come true. Everywhere we went there were well marked paths just for bicycles. The routes took us through quaint villages that seemed right off of a postcard, lush farmland and enchanted forests. If that wasn't good enough, we rode through sand dunes and along the beautiful coastline of the North Sea. All under sunny skies! And don't get me started on the food - not once did we have a bad meal, and the breads, cheeses and sweets were delicious. It's a good thing we rode a lot, or else we would be too heavy for our bikes! I loved so much staying at B&B's and camping, because we were able to meet and talk to interesting Dutch people. They have all been so welcoming and friendly. It was nice for Walt to get to speak in Dutch, and they all were surprised and impressed to hear that he is American. I loved seeing the house that Walt was born in, plus the other places he and his family lived. I am really sad to be leaving Holland, but at the same time excited for France. I know I won't be able to communicate as well as Walt, but we will stumble through somehow.

So, Tot Ziens Holland, Bonjour France!